Sunday, March 22, 2009

My Best Friend's Wedding

I am completely zonked and my stomach has been so-so since this morning - but we're finally home after being in NYC for the weekend wedding of my high school best friend, Agnes. The following is my Matron of Honor Speech and some shots that I would have used, had I thought about using props like Mike's brother, Ryan, the Best Man, did:

Weddings are full of bittersweet moments: The bride and groom finally make it down the aisle, exchange the rings and kiss. Parents watch their children promise to belong to another person.
They realize that their mission to raise two good people is coming to completion. They start to understand that their job is done - and with these two, they have collectively done an excellent job. Parents get the bill for this event & for one set of parents, they're relieved that this is their last to get married while for the other set of parents, they can't believe that this day is here and that shortly, they'll be doing it all over again. Parents, thankfully, you only have 2 children each.

My husband & I have 3 kids - a boy and 2 girls (Adam, we're so in for it!!!) and we can hardly remember what married life was like without them. Mike & Agnes, you'll have that problem too - with Claire already here.
People cry at weddings because at this moment, you truly do not know what your future will bring. And while that may apply to pretty much everything in life, with Claire in the picture, 2 very important things have been firmly established:

#1that you are both wonderful parents and

#2 that you make cute babies
(Lucky for you, Mike - it could have been a deal-breaker)

Michael, from the moment we met 2 summers ago, I knew you were "The One". We spent only a few hours in downtown New York City but it took me 15 seconds to notice the hearts flying out of your head every time Agnes looked at you. Yesterday, when I was late for rehersal, I said I would understand if Agnes dethroned me from my position as Matron of Honor. Today, I officially pass the crown & title of Agnes's bestest friend in the whole wide world to you. No one in the world better for the the job than you Mike - but you'll still never be her Matron of Honor - no one better in the world for that job than me.

Boogs, do you know that we'll have been friends for 20 years, next year? For those of you who don't know, Agnes and I went to high school together. We sat next to each other in every class we ever took, every day for 4 years. I was the only one at school who could still learn, despite the squeak of her feverishly writing with a Bic mechanical pencil - and lucky for me, she was always the one who would catch me falling asleep in class and wake me up before the teacher noticed.

Agnes, Michael is such a find - even if he is from CT. (My apologies to all of you who live in the great state of CT; originally, I'm from NYC and now I live in MA - but we can discuss that later). He reminds me a lot of my Adam - caring, patient, willing...


from the looks of it all, I don't think you'll need to worry about the future - Mike is the kind that stays and will work hard to keep you and Claire happy.


My advice about married life - Don't go to bed mad. Always ask for everything. Use good manners. Take lots of pictures. Keep family your first priority. And make time for yourselves.
While you may already have a library full of memories, you have a lifetime to make many more - use it wisely - a lifetime isn't enough for your love.

Supposedly, my speech was a hit (it was a surprise to them anyway - good enough for me). Agnes made such en elegant bride!


Agnes & Mike - thank you for having me be such an important part of your day - Adam & I love weddings - it makes us remember how lucky we are by just being part of something we did a long time ago - we love you guys (and Claire Bear too!!!)

I'll put more pictures of the day on my blog later this week - getting permission and some editing to be done...

No comments: