Monday, September 22, 2008

My First Biology Test...sorry no pictures.

Tonight, I took my first biology test - I think I did well...115 multiple guess questions...I completed it in about 25 minutes.

I was a straight A student in grade school and junior high. I was an A- student in high school. The first time I went to college, I was completely stupid. If I had the chance to do it all again, I'd do better in college - oh, wait - that's what I'm doing now...

Being a nerd as an adult, by far, rocks way more than being a nerd as a kid. I didn't have too many friends in grade school. In fact, one day, the girls in my class would be friends with me and the next day, for no apparent reason, they wouldn't speak to me for days. I made friends with the boys...which really sucked for the girls when we got to junior high (I went to Catholic School until 12th grade - St. Mary's in Woodside, NY til 8th grade and Dominican Academy from 9th-12th).

My mother used to tell me that I would not die without my classmates not being my friends. And I didn't. It didn't feel like that at the time. It took a long time for me to get that - but I did and if there is anything that has ever made an impact on me so great that it has molded me as a person, it's that statement: You will not die without them. Those words have given me strength and confidence. They have taught me that I choose with whom to surround myself. Those same words have inferred who is important and who is not.

So now as an adult, I do not fear in being a nerd. I relish in it. I love that I am smart. I love that I know what my strengths are and that I am not so humble so as not to recognize them. I love that I am willing to admit my mistakes and keep on trying and not settle for things less than I want. I love that I know that there is an appropriate time to settle for things. I love that at 32 (it was my birthday yesterday) that I still want to learn - anything and everything - so that I can be as strong as my mom and pass that along to my children.

I'm not sure that my mom ever knew how much those words hurt me as a child and made me as an adult...on second thought, I'm sure she did...thanks mom!!!

1 comment: